Monday, October 7, 2019

Better Than Wine
Psalm 4

"Know that the Lord has set apart the godly for Himself” (4:3).

David adversaries were talking smack: innuendo, invectives and lies. David’s sense of self–worth and well-being plummeted (4:1,2).

Then David reminded himself, "The Lord has set apart the godly for himself”(4:3).

"Godly" sounds austere and unattainable, but the translation is misleading. It's the Hebrew word hasidim, based on the word for God's covenant love, hasid. I render it, "those who love God and whom God will love forever." 

It’s almost impossible for me to get through the day without being snubbed, ignored, or put down in some way. Sometimes I do it to myself. 

But here's what I must remember: I'm loved forever and ever, set apart in a very special way; as dear to God as his own beloved Son. Why else would He have called me into existence to be His child for all eternity? 

So, instead of beating myself up, or pumping myself up, I need to remind myself moment by moment that I am His dearly beloved child. He will never, never, never, never give up on me.

The outcome is elation and celebration. His love, thus, ”is better than wine!" (4:7).

David Roper
10.9.19

3 comments:

DAVE said...

HOW WONDERFUL IS HIS GRACE AND HIS PROMISES THAT HE WILL NEVER FORSAKE ME NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.

Free said...

Thank You for this; like David, when we "feel" valueless, we need to go to our storehouse of Riches: Ephesians 1:6 (KJV) To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Unknown said...

Thank you David for this reminder about how loved we are to the Father.
I think we (men) need to run to this truth often. In our day and culture, men are to often painted as inept, unprepared, greedy and sexual monsters. That can and does wear us down and makes many want to fold up our tents and accept the lies as truth.
Thanks be to God there is One who speaks Truth and is always there to listen to our stories, heal us, give us sound guidence, then send us back into the fray whole and sound once again!

Going and Not Knowing

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing...