Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Good Morning, Beloved of God and Dear Friends,

“...two little chairs (one for me and one for a friend...”  As the Faun, Mr. Tumnus, put the kettle on he described the setting in his cozy room in these terms to Lucy in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
“...two little chairs (one for me and one for a friend...”

I like that. This description resonates with me as I come into my quiet place to be with my Friend, the One who calls me Beloved. This time and place has become one of refreshment, vulnerability, enjoyment and preparation. This Quiet Place allows God to quiet my heart as I talk with Him and listen to Him.

I am invited to pour out my heart in prayer, not only in “adoration but also in anguish.” He listens. He cares.

He will speak to me. Through His word both written and incarnate, through daily experiences, through the stories of others who have walked before me. Well-known folks like David, the sweet singer of Israel, or Elizabeth, or Abraham, or the woman at the well, and on and on, all have “words” for me as the Holy Spirit unites their experiences with mine. God also speaks to me through my mistakes, through the experiences of faith and failure of more contemporary saints. Actually I have “a great cloud of witnesses” all around me. They come to me through my treasured books, through the lives and emails of treasured friends. God is a Living God and He still speaks. I find that I need a Quiet Place to listen. We can see that we all need this as we see that Jesus often sought a Quiet Place. Do I need this less than He needed it? I think not, although the Enemy would disagree.

But again, it’s not just the sound of silence. I need the quiet to get “the fluff out of my ears,” as Pooh says. My world, my culture and my very own noisy thoughts are the things of “fluff” that need to be left behind and replaced by a sweeter, truer sound. His perspective and truth, lovingly bringing comfort, correction and hope.

I don’t have to dress up. I can come in to Him from walking in the forest of unrest and scary things. Or things I have left undone or done in the wrong way. There is a coming Home to my Friend.

Friendship and trust with any good friend does take time together in quiet places. So it is with God.

This Quiet Place with my Friend has become for me like chocolate! I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good! What a gift for God to give, as over time I have been drawn to seek Him in my Quiet Place.

The invitation is waiting and the kettle is on. Won’t you join Him and look at it this way “...two little chairs (one for me and one for a friend...”

Where is your Quiet Place? Actually, an old hymn tells us we all have the same quiet place. It’s near to the heart of God!

Near to the Heart of God

There is a place of quiet rest,
Near to the heart of God;
A place where sin cannot molest,
Near to the heart of God.

Refrain:
O Jesus, blest Redeemer,
Sent from the heart of God;
Hold us, who wait before Thee,
Near to the heart of God.

There is a place of comfort sweet,
Near to the heart of God;
A place where we our Savior meet,
Near to the heart of God.

Refrain:
O Jesus, blest Redeemer,
Sent from the heart of God;
Hold us, who wait before Thee,
Near to the heart of God.

There is a place of full release,
Near to the heart of God;
A place where all is joy and peace,
Near to the heart of God.

O Jesus, blest Redeemer,
Sent from the heart of God;
Hold us, who wait before Thee,
Near to the heart of God.


With love from His heart and mine,


Carolyn

No comments:

Going and Not Knowing

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing...