Wednesday, March 19, 2014

One Day Nearer Home!
Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
It was more than fifty years ago: A friend and I set out to climb Mount Whitney, the tallest mountain in the lower forty-eight. We arrived at Whitney Portal late one evening, rolled out our sleeping bags at base camp and tried to get some sleep before we began our ascent at first light. [As those of you who’ve climbed Mt. Whitney know, it’s not a technical climb but rather a long, weary walk—11 hard miles to the summit.] 
The ascent was exhilarating, with stunning vistas, cerulean lakes and lush meadows along the way, but the trail was long and wearisome, a test for legs and lungs. I thought of turning back as the shadows grew long and the trail seemed to stretch endlessly before me.
Occasionally, however, I caught a glimpse of the summit and I realized that each step was bringing me one step closer. If I just kept walking, one foot up and one foot down, I would get there. That was the thought that kept me going.   
Paul assures us: “(Our ultimate) salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed” (Romans 13:11). Every day brings us one day closer to that great day when we shall “summit” and see our Savior’s face.
It’s not long now. If I keep walking with Jesus, one foot up and one foot down, I shall get there someday. That’s the thought that keeps me going.
DHR 
Just one day nearer Home as shadows of the night descend;
Just one day less to roam as fading twilight colors blend.
Beneath the starry dome I’ll rest beside my Guide and Friend;
With each day’s tramping, nightly camping, one day nearer Home!
—Author unknown

1 comment:

Unknown said...

David. Patrick Cunningham is a friend. In fact, until recently, I was his pastor here in the Sacramento area, at Valley Springs Church where Ed Donohue attended. Anyway, Patrick put me onto you blog. My next assignment from the Lord is to train/coach/mentor young church planters. I would love to connect with you at some point for pointers from your own experience. Let me know how to make contact: dageorge@valleysprings.org

Going and Not Knowing

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing...