Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Masking Up—Again?


 

Face masks are inconvenient  They fog up my glasses, hang up on my hearing aids and mess up my beard. Nevertheless, before I refuse to wear one, there are things I need to consider.
 
The first has to do with obedience to those God has placed over me. Paul wrote, “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God” (Romans 13:1). 
 
There are some folks, I know, that are concerned about the heavy hand of the state, but we must remember that Paul issued this command to Christians living under the despot Nero and the totalitarian rule of Rome. I may not agree with the authorities that mandate masks, but unless they compel me to act contrary to God’s will I must obey, lest I add to the spirit of lawlessness in the land. 
 
Secondly, though the science remains uncertain, the best rationale for masking these days seems to be source control. The CDC and others have said that asymptotic and presymptomatic cases account for over half of the transmissions of the virus and masks can be preemptive. In other words, we mask up for others
 
Again, Paul writes, “Let each of us please his neighbor for his good….” (Romans 15:2). This being true, love compels me to set aside my own rights and mask up again “for even Christ did not please himself” (15:3). 

That settles the issue for me.
 
David Roper
6.27.21

6 comments:

Debbie Strang said...

Oh, how I have loved your teachings over the years! 🙏🏼
You are such a Godly man. And I respect you!

Though, I do disagree about wearing a mask or multiple masks and social distancing.
It is so sad hearing about the division it has caused!
The loneliness and the suicides. Especially among young adults.
Masking up children is child abuse in my opinion. Keeping young people separated from each other at school.. very sad 😔
Masks keeps In C02 that we are suppose to exhale. (Causing lung issues).
From the doctors I listen to they say masks do Not help, the masks do not keep out any flu germs. Ex: chain link fence keeping out mosquitos!
And I believe the government has over stepped the boundaries, because then they say we can’t sing in church🤪
And worse closing churches so we can’t fellowship together. Very lonely not having the fellowship of worshiping together.
The loneliness caused by a fake pandemic keeping loved ones from visiting those in nursing homes. Elderly who died alone 😪
Masks leading to needing a injection for a flu that has a survival rate of 99.8%. And a flu that has meds to help heal those who are sick,
but for some reason doctors are not giving those medications. Ivermectin, hydroxichloricn (spell?).
Just how I see things.
In His grip, Debbie Strang

Debbie Strang said...

PS
I believe we should be modern day Daniels and Dietrich Bonhoeffer 🙏🏼

Janice said...

Wise words. Thanks for sharing the relation to Paul's lesson.
Janice

Norm Neufeld said...

Thank you for the consistent scriptural lessons through your books etc. I pastor a small rural church in Canada and recently shared the same thoughts from Romans. It cost us a few church families. I doubt that anyone having to wearing a mask will reach “martyrdom status” nor will those of us facing restrictions on public singing etc. for a season as all things Covid is worked out. When it comes to actual persecution, we will know it and will then have to choose whom we will obey, until that time, yes, we are to submit to the Lord’s perfect choice of the government currently in power. Even IF they are scientifically out to lunch regarding things like masks, we are to submit to them for they are the Lord’s government. . It seems to me that this has more to do with a rebellious heart and refusal to submit. Please, David, keep writing, you are a breath of fresh air in these times! I look forward to seeing you on the perfect side.

Don Wisyanski said...

David--thank you for your example and incisive scriptural backing on why we should follow what the authorities say, not to mention the sound medical reasons for masking. Inconvenient? Indeed. But as you point out, we are doing so for those around us--particularly the spiritually lost. What a great witness to those predisposed to stereotype the Church as a rebellious bunch who cares not for its fellow citizens. Do not even unbelievers feed the hungry?

I second Mr. Neufeld's entreaty!

DAVE said...

i agree with those who have disagreed, respectfully but still reject the mask and all that goes with it.

Going and Not Knowing

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing...