Friday, March 8, 2019

The Old is Good

"No one, after drinking old wine immediately wishes for new; for he says, ‘The old is good'" (Luke 5:37-39). 

That proverb is especially relevant for older congregations for old folks are rarely avant-garde. They find security in the past and cling tenaciously to old forms of doing church, for they say, "The old is good." (My grandchildren tell me I'm reasonably "now," but I still have a hard time enjoying some contemporary praise choruses. I take to the old songs better.)

Old folks are slow to change so please be patient. Prayer, love, teaching and time is the cure.

David Roper

3.8.19

No comments:

Going and Not Knowing

"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing...